7 Things to Know About Blepharoplasty
Blepharoplasty, commonly referred to as the “eyelid lift,” is an eyelid surgical procedure most commonly performed to correct sagging around the eyes and restore a more youthful appearance. Blepharoplasty is among the most popular cosmetic procedures performed each year, and it is on the upswing largely for its reasonable cost, fast recovery time and overall effectiveness. In 2012, it was the third most popular cosmetic procedure, with about a 4 percent increase from the year prior.
But if you’re thinking about blepharoplasty, there is a lot more to know about the procedure before you have it performed. And while your surgeon will likely be covering many of these points with you during the initial consultation, we’ve decided to do it here too. With that being said, here’s a look at 7 things to know about blepharoplasty:
- It’s not just for sagging: While sagging eyelids is arguably the biggest correction associated with the procedure, blepharoplasty can also correct the likes of puffiness in the upper eyelids (typically caused by excess fatty deposits), folds around the eyelid, bags underneath the eyes, wrinkles and excess skin.
- Not everyone is an ideal candidate for the procedure. In fact, the best candidates are said to be adult men or women who have healthy facial tissue and healthy facial muscles. Non-smokers and those absent of medical conditions that may prevent proper healing are also ideal for the procedure. That’s why an initial consultation is so important for this procedure, to make sure that a patient will receive the full benefits from it.
- Recovery is short: Compared to other cosmetic procedures, blepharoplasty recovery time is short. Typically, patients can resume normal activities within 7 to 10 days. Major post-op side effects include swelling, bruising, irritation and dry eyes, all of which are treated with medication and ointment. Results are long-lasting: While results vary on a patient-to-patient basis, generally speaking an individual can expect the blepharoplasty procedure to have long-lasting results.
- It’s comparatively low-cost: Cosmetic surgery procedures aren’t cheap, but blepharoplasty is among the most affordable – unquestionably a factor in its surge in popularity over the years. It’s effective: In addition to minimal risk, the procedure is also highly effective. It’s so effective in restoring a youthful appearance that many people are now opting to just have blepharoplasty, rather than an entire facelift.
- It’s quick: Blepharoplasty is a fast procedure, usually one that can be completed in as little as an hour, at the most, 2 hours. For this reason, and the minimal risks that are posed with the procedure, it’s usually an outpatient surgery, where patients are permitted to go home following the procedure to begin their recovery.
As you can see, when it comes to blepharoplasty, the benefits largely outweigh the risks for most patients. For more information, or to schedule a consultation, contact us today.